Sunday, November 11, 2007

Ghost of You by My Chemical Romance




World War Two is my favorite time period in history. Ghost of You is one of my favorite music videos because of the meaning behind the song. It's about the soldiers going off to war in World War Two and the combat stress that they experience. It's a ghost that will constantly haunt them the rest of their lives. Soldiers who saw combat in World War Two hardly ever got a break. They were always on the front lines. One infantry spent over a year in combat everyday. There were sixteen million men in the military during World War Two and only four hundred thousand saw combat. It was ridiculous because then men would start to experience combat stress. Having combat stress in the military was seen as a sign of weakness. General Patton hit a soldier once because he thought the soldier was weak for having combat stress.
Another reason 'Ghost of You' is one of my favorite video is because it shows scenes from the movie Saving Private Ryan, which just happens to be my favorite war movie. In the beginning of the music video it starts at a USO dance. The USO is an organization that started in the early 1940's. It was a place where white soldiers could go and have meals made for them. Also, the USO would have social events , like dances, and the soldiers would go and dance with young , white pretty women.
My Chemical Romance is an amazing band. They have three albums out. The first is called 'I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me You Love. The second is 'Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge' and the third is 'Welcome to the Black Parade'. My favorite album of there's is Welcome to the Black Parade but the song 'Ghost of You' if from their second album, 'Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge'. My Chemical Romance has grown tremendously over the past few years and have a large fan base. Even though their music can be classified as "emo" music, I don't see them that way. I just love the songs they sing. They are very original and no one else out there sounds anything like them.

1 comment:

Meghan Koehn said...

Wow what a great song! I myself have always enjoyed listening to their music. But to tell you the truth I never knew that this song had anything to do with world-war two, but now that I am paying very close attention to it I finally understand what they were saying. I really like how in your blog you added a little information about WWII and what the soliders went through. Also the explination about the USO and how it was put in place for the comfort of the soliders. I feel that you did a great job on the assignment and I really enjoyed how you put at the end although "My Chemical Romance" is seen as an emo band can also be appealing to all music listeners.