Wednesday, November 14, 2007

If You Wanna By My Lover by: The Spice Girls



The Spice Girls music video, If You Wanna Be My Lover, is the worst music video and possibly the worst song ever! First off, the lyrics make absolutely no sense at all. What in the hell is zigzig ha? I would really like to know. Second, I believe this song makes a lot of sexual references. The Spice Girls are supposed to be a group that young girls can look up to. I know I was a fan of the Spice Girls when I was a little girl. In the song they say "if you wanna be my lover" and "zigzig ha"
I am pretty sure that it is a sexual reference. Third, this music video just sucks. They dance around a whole bunch of guys and some of them are old men. It's kind of gross.
Another thing I don't like about the Spice Girls song is that it is just really stupid. "If you wanna be my lover you gotta get with my friends, make it last forever, friendship never ends." What in the world is that supposed to mean? I understand that boyfriends should be on good terms with the girls friends but seriously, this song makes it sound stupid. It's really dumbed down for the audience and I understand that it is meant for a younger audience but then why are they making sexual references?
I know the 90's had bad fashion but come on, the outfits that they are wearing in this video are just hideous! and their hair, what is up with that? I mean the one girl, Scary Spice, her fro...man it is ridiculous.

6 comments:

eduff said...

This writing really made me laugh and think more about what the song is about. I have always been a fan of the spice girls ever since I was little but never saw this video before and realized how stupid it actually is. I agree with you when you say that little girls look up to these songs and it is very sexual and promoting things little kids shouldnt be thinking about. The video actually made me laugh to think it could have been very popular at one point in life.

dylann said...

Wow I totally picked the wrong song for the worst song ever. I would have to agree with you on this one. You comments made me laugh. I never did really like the spice girls. I never understood what all the fuss was about. When I was younger all the girls in my grade loved the spice girls. I believe when we are younger we never really understand the meaning of a song. I think it is still bad to put the sexual references in this song when it is geared for a younger audience. Overall I totally agree with you.

Regina said...

Even though I loved the Spice Girls when I was younger, I mean loved them, I do agree with you. Looking back on it now I can’t see any reason why I did like them as much as I did. Maybe it was because they were just so different from anyone else and so it made them refreshing, maybe? That’s really the only thing I can think of. I never thought about the sexual references in the song before. But after hearing what you said and listening to the song again I completely understand what you’re saying.

Ian said...

Wow. Excuse me for a moment while I go throw up. That was definitely one of the worst music videos that I have ever seen. It also probably doesn’t help that I really can’t stand the song but that’s a whole other topic. I would definitely have to agree with your comments about the video just being weird. I mean, I’m not a girl, but I’m thinking that most girls probably don’t want to dance around eighty year old guys. I don’t know what that’s all about. But yeah, I agree with your choice. This was definitely one of the worst videos I’ve seen.

Kate said...

I remember liking the Spice Girls when i was little and now looking back on it i have no idea what I was thinking. I don't understand any of the lyrics, they sound really dumb or they actually don't make any sense. I also dislike all the, "huh!" sounds they make, it really grosses me out. I don't really understand how them dancing around in a bar scene should be appealing to their audience of 3rd graders. Overall I totally agree with you and find the lyrics to be senseless and their sexual references to be innapropriate.

Whitney Villines said...

I never actually took the time to watch this video. Why would they be singing this song to that whole family in the beginning of the video? This whole video is confusing. I like your point about the sexual references. Spice girls were really big for younger kids and they don't need to be thinking about that stuff. That video is horrible! They are expressing girl power but definitely in the wrong way. Even though I didn't really watch the spice girl�s videos I do remember singing the songs. I never really thought about what the words meant until I read your post.